Our customers bet off of TimeformUS Speed Figures, and we do not want them unknowingly placing faith in the occasional number that we are not yet confident in. From time to time, our figures are under review because the evidence that is ordinarily available to create them has somehow been compromised. What’s the best way to handle this challenge to help our customers?
The Origin of Question Mark Figures
One of the helpful features that Frye Womens Roberta Ghillie Espadrille Wedge Peep Toe Sandal Blush Size 9.5 M (from the mothership in England) offer when assessing horses overseas is a question mark symbol when a horse’s rating is considered suspect. With that as inspiration, we implemented question mark symbols in TimeformUS Past Performances in the spring of 2015. An example of how Question Mark Figures were initially displayed in TimeformUS is below:
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Multiple Variations||Model:||BD3101|
Beginning today, Question Mark Figures are being displayed in a new format, with a new level of detail to give TimeformUS Customers an advantage when betting.
Moving to The Left
Question Mark Figures are now shifting to the Race Rating field, to reflect that they apply to the entire race, not just the Speed Figure for one horse. Additionally, instead of the general question mark symbol, you will see a specific one-letter code that indicates the main reason for the question mark designation. Here’s how these races will look for question mark figures assigned for races beginning January 25th or later:
Understanding The Codes
Most of the time a tough race to evaluate with a speed figure is marked as such for more than one reason. The code identifies the main one. Here are the seven possible codes that you will see:
• f – First Timers/Lightly Raced – The race was loaded with horses racing for the first time or with very few starts. If a turf or synthetic track race, there could be little to no form on the surface. This is never reason alone to mark a race as questionable. It is usually combined with other factors. For example, a 2yo maiden special weight race with first time starters only and it is the only dirt sprint on the card.
• o – Only Turf / Sprint / Route – This one is exactly as described…only one race on the card was run under similar conditions. Much like the f code, this is never a sole reason for marking the race. Most times this is used the race was an “only” and comparing the performance of the horses in the race to the projections varied quite a bit from horse to horse.
• p – Pace – There will be some races run with the pace so aberrantly fast or slow that it will cause the horses to all run unreasonably slow final times. Since TimeformUS Speed Figures combine pace and final time figures into one overall number, we’re typically able to capture these nuances, but sometimes the situation is so extreme that we don’t feel we’re able to properly measure it. These races are already flagged via color coding for the fractions/pace figures, but we will go a step further and apply this coding. It is probably a good idea to ignore races coded “p” from a speed figure point of view.
• t – Timer – Unfortunately this is becoming more common in the sport of horse racing. Timer malfunctions are way more prevalent than they should be and races where there was an issue are marked as such. In many cases these races are missing one or more fractional times. We do not attempt to make pace figures for points of call that are missing fractions. Also, there will be no final time figures for races that are not timed at the finish.
• b – Breakout – The race appears unusually fast or unusually slow compared to others on the card, including those that come before and after it. Using the same variant as the other races would cause all the top finishers in a race to have aberrant numbers that don’t seem realistic.
• n – Possible Breakout – The race was strongly considered as a “breakout,” code b above, but in the end was left as is with reservations. This is the preferred choice between the two.
• c – Track Conditions – Track conditions can change drastically during a card, usually due to weather, and the figures for the race are primarily based on only the horses in this one race.
There is now an eighth type of code–for races we can’t give a figure for at all:
- i – Insufficient data – There simply isn’t enough data to generate a speed figure with confidence. These races will be almost exclusively races for two-year-olds from days when there were no similar races on the card and the two-year-old race was hard to compare to the other races due to things like timing problems, changes in weather, or rarely run distances. As the horses run again, these races will be re-visited to see if enough data has come in to allow us to go back and make a figure with confidence.
- NIKE WOMEN'S METCON DSX FLYKNIT 2 SHOES white black 924595 100 MSRP $150
- Puma Ignite V2 - Yellow - Mens
- VANS Runner (OG) Wild Dove Grey Suede UltraCush Men's Skate Shoes Size 8.5
- Nike Zoom Speed Tr2 Tb Mens Running Trainers 725181 Sneakers Shoes 011
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Low / NS AJ1 Mens Shoes Sneakers Jumpman Pick 1
- PUMA 36419212 Unisex-Kids Ferrari Future Cat Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- NIKE FLYKNIT FREE 5.0 Mens Size US 15 49.5 Bright Crimson/White-Gym Red-Blue
- Jordan Super.Fly 4 Mens 768929-006 Black Green Red Basketball Shoes Size 7.5
- Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Mens 917753-200 Mushroom Bone Leather Shoes Size 12
- New Balance Running Shoes HANON Fishermans Blue US9 UK8.5 EU42.7 NOS Mint
- Thorogood Men's Steel Toe Heavy Duty Work Boots Size 14W - MODEL 804-4440
- John Deere 11" Safety Steel Toe EH Brown Leather Work Boots Sz 10W - NIB JD4394
- LOS ALTOS BOOTS ORIGINAL DE COCODRILO Y VENADO ESTILO VERSACE BOTAS BAQUERAS
- Fashion Men Weave Cotton Breathable Roma Summer Beach Casual Retro Shoes Sandals
- Nettleton Loafer Vintage Shoes 9D Brown Leather Strap w/Metal Bit Hardware
- VT152 Vass Double Monks EU43 - US10 - UK9 - Antique Cognac Calf - F Last
- MEZLAN Custom Leather blue shoes. Size 12 M. Retails for $400.
- Women's Adidas Originals Superstar Boost Shoes Metallic Copper Bronze BB2270
- VANS SK8 Hi Reissue (Black Outsole) Pewter/Black Skate Shoes WOMEN'S 6
- Excellent ASICS GEL-Nimbus 19 Medium Blue Coral Womens US SIze 8, 39 EUR
- Brooks Glycerin 15 Sneaker - Women's Size 5.5 M, Navy/Purple
- NEW Nike AIR MAX 90 ULTRA PLUSH wmnUSsz:7.5; 8 Running Sneakers 844886-001 Black
- 1808 adidas Originals I-5923 Women's Training Running Shoes D97348
- Nike Air Force 1 Upstep Uptown University Red White Women's Size 9 NYC Subway
- Womens Shoes Ankle Boots Stilettos High Heel Open Toe Slingback Roma Gladiator
- Men's/Women's CLARKS Women's Enfield Sari Ankle Bootie Beautiful color auction Modern and elegant
- Women Over Knee Thigh Boot Leather Punk Roma Suede Lined Platform Stiletto Shoes
- Won Hundred Womens Black Wedge Open Toe Ankle Shoe Boots
- womens winter fur trim round toe falt metal decor rivet slip on ankle boots new
- NEW MINNETONKA CALGARY SUEDE LEATHER BOOTS WOMENS 8 SHERPA LINED BROWN MID-MED
- Women Over Knee Thigh Boots Leather Riding Shoes Side Zip Block High Heels 35-43
- Corral Ladies Multicolor Ethnic Pattern and Whip Stitch Cowgirl Boots C2872 New
- Jimmy Choo Tall Leather Boots Beige Women Size 38.5 *
- Man/Woman Nora Dolomit Mens Wellington Boots (FS2442) Durable service Win highly appreciated Contrary to the same paragraph
- Remonte Womens R3486 Hi-Top Trainers, Grey fumoAsphaltAltsilber 45, 8
- Ladies Skechers On The Go 600 Ideal Black/White
- FW13 ADIDAS MEN'S FLIP FLOPS WOMAN NR. 39 SEASIDE POOL Q22756 RED RED
- Man/Woman Naturalizer Women's Emily Pump Elegant shape new Seasonal hot sale
- Skechers BOBS Women's Plush-Leopard Crochet Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Huarache Triple All Red WMNS 634835 601 Varsity Gym Ruby Run Size 6-10
- Skechers BOBS Womens Plush - Art Hissstory Ballet Flat- Select SZ/Color.
- Women Pumps High Heels Ladies Shoes Elegant Shoes
- Naturalizer n5 Comfort Medium (B,M ) Women's shoes size 7
- Stuart Weitzman Bnudistsong Platinium Noir Size7M E669
- Gianfranco Ferre Black Leather High Heel Platform Pumps Shoes US 11 IT 41
- EMILIO PUCCI GREEN & PINK FABRIC ESPADRILLES SLIDES SHOES WEDGE THONG, SZ 36
- Robert Clergerie Black Suede Classic Open Toe 3.5" Block Heel Pumps 37
- Manolo Blahnik BB 50 Grey Suede Pointy Toe Pump 36
- Waldlaufer Womens Shoes Sandals US 6 Beige 2 tone Suede Hook/Loop Straps Walking
- Vionic Orthaheel Cancun Wedge Sandal Leopard Print Leather Shoe Women's 9 Brown
- Seychelles SUAVE Womens Suave Wedge Pump- Choose SZ/Color.
- Under Armour Men's Micro G Pursuit Ankle-High Mesh Running Shoe
- Lebron XIII Low Shoes Size 11.5M Red/ White/ Gold 831925-164 Shoes White
- NIKE Lunarbeast Elite Football Cleats Purple/Black 847588-018 Size 12
- Nike Sfb Field 8" sz 12 631371 222 tactical military police boots
Question Mark Figures: Why We Include This Data in Our Product
To review these suspect figures, we will typically wait for additional evidence to come in, in the form of horses from that race returning to race again. But even that has its limitations. Some figures are questionable when made and remain questionable months later or in perpetuity–because the runbacks do little to clarify the situation. This is rare but it does happen, and we believe it to be true for all Speed Figure makers. When a figure is under review, you deserve to know it.
As a player, you can then incorporate our lack of confidence in the available evidence into your own handicapping and assess additional elements of a horse’s form before placing your bets.
Additionally, if you refer to other speed figures when handicapping, the TimeformUS Question Marks will alert you to difficult conditions that likely affected other figure makers as well. They may not tell you, but we will. And now we’ll tell you why, too.