Our customers bet off of TimeformUS Speed Figures, and we do not want them unknowingly placing faith in the occasional number that we are not yet confident in. From time to time, our figures are under review because the evidence that is ordinarily available to create them has somehow been compromised. What’s the best way to handle this challenge to help our customers?
The Origin of Question Mark Figures
One of the helpful features that CHACO Pink Women's Classic Double Strap COMFORT Sandals Shoes Size 11 (from the mothership in England) offer when assessing horses overseas is a question mark symbol when a horse’s rating is considered suspect. With that as inspiration, we implemented question mark symbols in TimeformUS Past Performances in the spring of 2015. An example of how Question Mark Figures were initially displayed in TimeformUS is below:
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Size:||7.5 2W US||MPN:||W-84702|
|Model:||W-84702||US Shoe Size (Women's):||7.5 2W US|
|UPC:||Does not apply||EAN:||0707722540677|
Beginning today, Question Mark Figures are being displayed in a new format, with a new level of detail to give TimeformUS Customers an advantage when betting.
Moving to The Left
Question Mark Figures are now shifting to the Race Rating field, to reflect that they apply to the entire race, not just the Speed Figure for one horse. Additionally, instead of the general question mark symbol, you will see a specific one-letter code that indicates the main reason for the question mark designation. Here’s how these races will look for question mark figures assigned for races beginning January 25th or later:
Understanding The Codes
Most of the time a tough race to evaluate with a speed figure is marked as such for more than one reason. The code identifies the main one. Here are the seven possible codes that you will see:
• f – First Timers/Lightly Raced – The race was loaded with horses racing for the first time or with very few starts. If a turf or synthetic track race, there could be little to no form on the surface. This is never reason alone to mark a race as questionable. It is usually combined with other factors. For example, a 2yo maiden special weight race with first time starters only and it is the only dirt sprint on the card.
• o – Only Turf / Sprint / Route – This one is exactly as described…only one race on the card was run under similar conditions. Much like the f code, this is never a sole reason for marking the race. Most times this is used the race was an “only” and comparing the performance of the horses in the race to the projections varied quite a bit from horse to horse.
• p – Pace – There will be some races run with the pace so aberrantly fast or slow that it will cause the horses to all run unreasonably slow final times. Since TimeformUS Speed Figures combine pace and final time figures into one overall number, we’re typically able to capture these nuances, but sometimes the situation is so extreme that we don’t feel we’re able to properly measure it. These races are already flagged via color coding for the fractions/pace figures, but we will go a step further and apply this coding. It is probably a good idea to ignore races coded “p” from a speed figure point of view.
• t – Timer – Unfortunately this is becoming more common in the sport of horse racing. Timer malfunctions are way more prevalent than they should be and races where there was an issue are marked as such. In many cases these races are missing one or more fractional times. We do not attempt to make pace figures for points of call that are missing fractions. Also, there will be no final time figures for races that are not timed at the finish.
• b – Breakout – The race appears unusually fast or unusually slow compared to others on the card, including those that come before and after it. Using the same variant as the other races would cause all the top finishers in a race to have aberrant numbers that don’t seem realistic.
• n – Possible Breakout – The race was strongly considered as a “breakout,” code b above, but in the end was left as is with reservations. This is the preferred choice between the two.
• c – Track Conditions – Track conditions can change drastically during a card, usually due to weather, and the figures for the race are primarily based on only the horses in this one race.
There is now an eighth type of code–for races we can’t give a figure for at all:
- i – Insufficient data – There simply isn’t enough data to generate a speed figure with confidence. These races will be almost exclusively races for two-year-olds from days when there were no similar races on the card and the two-year-old race was hard to compare to the other races due to things like timing problems, changes in weather, or rarely run distances. As the horses run again, these races will be re-visited to see if enough data has come in to allow us to go back and make a figure with confidence.
- Men's Saucony Triumph ISO 3 Grey/Black/Slime S20346-4 Brand New Sizes 7.5-14
- Mens AIR FORCE 1 FOAMPOSITE CUP Shoes -Retail $200 -AH6771 002 one -Sz 9 -New
- Men's Nike Air Jordan Olympia Shoes WHITE/RED/GOLD 6
- New NIKE Men AIR MAX 1 Anniversary OG QS White-Aqua-Neutral size 10 [908375-105]
- Nike Air Jordan Shine 6894-010 Black Size 10.5
- ASICS GEL LYTE V "ROSE" SIZE 13 ROSE GOLD WHITE BLUE By RONNIE FIEG KITH RF
- US10.5 2004 NIKE AIR JORDAN 7 RETRO Olympic Barcelona Dead stock from japan 3W
- CALTO G10721 - 3.2 Inches Elevator Height Increase Ankle Sneaker Boots Black
- Jutti Rajasthani Genuine Leather Men Shoes Indian Handmade Espadrilles US 8-12
- IZOD Men's Forman Slip-on Loafer, Black, 10 M US
- Men/Women TBS Archer Tin Clearance price Preferred material Explosive good goods
- 13M, Mezlan Men's Shoes Brown Suede & Leather
- Dino Monti Size 12 Brown Tassel Loafers Men's Dress Shoes
- L.B. Evans Duke Scuff - Black - Mens
- Nike Court Lite Purple Slate Women's Tennis Shoes Size 7.5
- PUMA REBEL MID TRAINERS SNEAKERS WOMEN SHOES BLACK/WHITE 364539-01 SIZE 8.5 NEW
- adidas climacool CM men running run shoes NEW light brown olive S80706
- NIKE WMNS AIR FORCE 1 '07 FW QS 704011-300 CITY PACK MILAN DARK CITRON SZ 8
- NEW WOMENS NIKE FREE TR 8 CROSS TRAINING SHOES TRAINERS CRIMSON TINT / NAVY / WH
- PUMA 36222202 Womens Suede Platform Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- New Bjorndal Size 5M Beige Solstice Suede Boots
- NEW FEUD CLIQUE SUEDE TALL KNEE BOOTS - TAN - 7M - MSRP $220.00
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nine West Women's anura Suede Boot Charming design Settlement Price German Outlets
- Durango Boot Women's DRD0315 Lady Rebel Western Cowgirl Boot Auburn/Chestnut
- JBU by Jambu Women's Spruce Weather Ready Rain Boot, Navy/tan, 9.5 Medium US
- Sexy Nightclub Thigh High Boots Dance Shoes Over Knee High Womens Pointy Shoes 7
- Men's/Women's Clarks Women's Aria Frost Ankle Boot selling price Let our products go to the world various kinds
- Womens Red Rhinestone Snake Cowgirl Boots Python Inlay Leather Pointed Toe
- Christian Louboutin 36 Daf Boot Booties 160mm Leather Brown Platform Red Sole
- nike KOBE IX HIGH KRM EXT QS mens hi top trainers 716993 600 sneakers CLEARANCE
- Vans SK8 Hi Slim Boom Boom Maroon White Womens Trainers
- Brogini Forte Winter Boots Adult Brown - Size 37 (4.5)
- Designer VALENTINO Shoes Leopard Print Heels Size 37 MADE IN ITALY New
- Trask Ali Loafers - Women's Size 11M, Black
- NEW Anthropologie Ball Pages Slingback Espadrilles Size 40 Black
- New! Naot UPGRADE Clog Bootie Women's Mule ORTHOTIC Comfort Shoe Leather 40/ 9
- Retail $550 Manolo Blahnik Platinum Leather Ballet Flats Sz 37.5/ 7.5
- Women Clear Transparent Crystal Pointed Toe Wedge Heel Low Top Shoes Pumps
- Stuart Weitzman Black Leather Buckle Pointy Toe Stiletto Boot Shoe Heels 7B
- Salvatore Ferragamo Womens Size 7N Black Sling Back Leather Pump Shoes
- Robert Clergerie Brown Leather Platform Wedge Mule US WOMENS 8.5 Made in France
- Stuart Weitzman Snakeskin Slingback Shoes Heels Pumps ~ Open Toe ~ Size 8 M
- YSL Yves Saint Laurent Tribtoo 80 Nude Croc Print Pumps Shoes 42 12 $795
- Marc Fisher Womens lailey Fabric Square Toe Casual Slide Sandals
- Franco Sarto Women's Nash Espadrille Wedge Sandal Whiskey 7.5 Medium US
- White Persian Cat Print Running Shoe For Women- Free Shipping
- Patricia Green Women's Lila Navy 8 M US
- Onitsuka Tiger Shoes Tustin Navy Blue Sneakers Size 9
- Nike Air Trainer SC High White Tour Yellow Midnight Navy Bo Jackson 2012 sz 8.5
- Nike SB Dunk Low Pro Burgundy Corduroy 2014 Size 11 us mens Deadstock!!
- Nike Air Max Nostalgic Mens 916781-400 Midnight Navy Running Shoes Size 7.5
- adidas men rod laver geen g99863 US9
- Adidas Men Jogger SPZL blue footwear white blue bird BA7726
- NIKE SHOX GRAVITY GRAND PURPLE VAST GREY BLACK AR1999 500 sz 12
- Nike Air Scream LWP Men's Sneakers Running Athletic Comfort Sport Gym Casual NIB
- 2012 AIR JORDAN 4 IV Retro White Cement 4s DS size 10 New in Box 308497-103
- AIR JORDAN 9 RETRO DB "DOERNBECHER" 580892 170 SIZE 10.5 100% AUTHENTIC NIB
- Reebok Work Men's 8" Rapid Response RB RB8977 Soft-Toe Military Boot Coyote
- Hush Puppies Mens Sz 15M Brogue Lug Red Wingtip Loafers Comfort Flex Sole 15 M
- $170 COLE HAAN QUINCY SPT OX II BLACK SUEDE/MESH SNEAKER US 11.5M
- MEN'S ECCO KALLUM CAUSAL SNEAKER BLACK/TITANIUM 536604 52570 Medium
- Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue Brown Leather Shoes Made in USA Men’s sz 15 4A
- Mens Genuine Leather Pointed Toe Zipper Ankle Boots Buckle Dress High Top Shoes
- CLX MBT Shoes Leather White ICE Size 9 1/2 MBT401/3
- Mizuno Wave Catalyst Women's Running Shoes US Sz 8 EU38.5 Purple Sil Pink No Box
- Adidas Originals Equipment Support Advance Womens Trainers Grey BB2325 D115
- New Balance 574 Shattered Pearl Pink Women's Running Shoe WL574CIC Size 9
- Django & Juliette Sadore Leather Ankle Boots - Smoke
- $245 Freebird by Steven Womens Lazor Lattice Cut Boot Shoes, Ice, US 8
- Retro Womens Genuine Leather Stage Over Knee High Boots Knight T Show Zip Shoes
- PRADA Womens Patent Leather Fashion Sneakers Shoes pale yellow size 7 M Euro 37
- Nike Roshe Two Flyknit 365 Womens 861706-001 Grey Black Running Shoes Size 6
- NEW BALANCE M20400B3 HORWEEN LEATHER MADE IN USE OXBLOOD BLACK SNEAKERS 9.5
- KENNETH COLE REACTION NO FOOLIN BLACK LEATHER KITTEN HEEL ANKLE BOOT 6, 7.5, 8.5
- Circa Joan & David Talaro Riding Boots 417, Black, 7.5 US
- Sexy Womens Zip Block Heel Patent Leather Knee High Boots Over the Thigh shoes
- Irregular Choice Southwestern GRANNY Boots Shoes PINK BLACK MOCCASINS SZ 38/7
- STEVE MADDEN Embroidered Ankle Boots Sz 6.5B NWOB
Question Mark Figures: Why We Include This Data in Our Product
To review these suspect figures, we will typically wait for additional evidence to come in, in the form of horses from that race returning to race again. But even that has its limitations. Some figures are questionable when made and remain questionable months later or in perpetuity–because the runbacks do little to clarify the situation. This is rare but it does happen, and we believe it to be true for all Speed Figure makers. When a figure is under review, you deserve to know it.
As a player, you can then incorporate our lack of confidence in the available evidence into your own handicapping and assess additional elements of a horse’s form before placing your bets.
Additionally, if you refer to other speed figures when handicapping, the TimeformUS Question Marks will alert you to difficult conditions that likely affected other figure makers as well. They may not tell you, but we will. And now we’ll tell you why, too.