Our customers bet off of TimeformUS Speed Figures, and we do not want them unknowingly placing faith in the occasional number that we are not yet confident in. From time to time, our figures are under review because the evidence that is ordinarily available to create them has somehow been compromised. What’s the best way to handle this challenge to help our customers?
The Origin of Question Mark Figures
One of the helpful features that DS NIKE 2000 AIR JORDAN XI CONCORD OG RETRO 12 I III IV V VI VIII X XII XIII XXI (from the mothership in England) offer when assessing horses overseas is a question mark symbol when a horse’s rating is considered suspect. With that as inspiration, we implemented question mark symbols in TimeformUS Past Performances in the spring of 2015. An example of how Question Mark Figures were initially displayed in TimeformUS is below:
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shoe Size:||In stock - Ready to be dispatched|
|Main Colour:||In stock - Ready to be dispatched||Brand:||In stock - Ready to be dispatched|
|Country/Region of Manufacture:||Hungary||Upper Material:||In stock - Ready to be dispatched|
|EAN:||Does not apply|
Beginning today, Question Mark Figures are being displayed in a new format, with a new level of detail to give TimeformUS Customers an advantage when betting.
Moving to The Left
Question Mark Figures are now shifting to the Race Rating field, to reflect that they apply to the entire race, not just the Speed Figure for one horse. Additionally, instead of the general question mark symbol, you will see a specific one-letter code that indicates the main reason for the question mark designation. Here’s how these races will look for question mark figures assigned for races beginning January 25th or later:
Understanding The Codes
Most of the time a tough race to evaluate with a speed figure is marked as such for more than one reason. The code identifies the main one. Here are the seven possible codes that you will see:
• f – First Timers/Lightly Raced – The race was loaded with horses racing for the first time or with very few starts. If a turf or synthetic track race, there could be little to no form on the surface. This is never reason alone to mark a race as questionable. It is usually combined with other factors. For example, a 2yo maiden special weight race with first time starters only and it is the only dirt sprint on the card.
• o – Only Turf / Sprint / Route – This one is exactly as described…only one race on the card was run under similar conditions. Much like the f code, this is never a sole reason for marking the race. Most times this is used the race was an “only” and comparing the performance of the horses in the race to the projections varied quite a bit from horse to horse.
• p – Pace – There will be some races run with the pace so aberrantly fast or slow that it will cause the horses to all run unreasonably slow final times. Since TimeformUS Speed Figures combine pace and final time figures into one overall number, we’re typically able to capture these nuances, but sometimes the situation is so extreme that we don’t feel we’re able to properly measure it. These races are already flagged via color coding for the fractions/pace figures, but we will go a step further and apply this coding. It is probably a good idea to ignore races coded “p” from a speed figure point of view.
• t – Timer – Unfortunately this is becoming more common in the sport of horse racing. Timer malfunctions are way more prevalent than they should be and races where there was an issue are marked as such. In many cases these races are missing one or more fractional times. We do not attempt to make pace figures for points of call that are missing fractions. Also, there will be no final time figures for races that are not timed at the finish.
• b – Breakout – The race appears unusually fast or unusually slow compared to others on the card, including those that come before and after it. Using the same variant as the other races would cause all the top finishers in a race to have aberrant numbers that don’t seem realistic.
• n – Possible Breakout – The race was strongly considered as a “breakout,” code b above, but in the end was left as is with reservations. This is the preferred choice between the two.
• c – Track Conditions – Track conditions can change drastically during a card, usually due to weather, and the figures for the race are primarily based on only the horses in this one race.
There is now an eighth type of code–for races we can’t give a figure for at all:
- i – Insufficient data – There simply isn’t enough data to generate a speed figure with confidence. These races will be almost exclusively races for two-year-olds from days when there were no similar races on the card and the two-year-old race was hard to compare to the other races due to things like timing problems, changes in weather, or rarely run distances. As the horses run again, these races will be re-visited to see if enough data has come in to allow us to go back and make a figure with confidence.
- New J.Crew Gemma Cap-toe Flats Vintage Champagne Sz 8 F4854
- NEW Anthropologie Kupuri Brown Leather Diane Flats Size 39 Bootie
- Vionic with Orthaheel Technology Women's Fillmore Slide Black Leather Slides
- Saint Laurent YSL Espadrilles St Venice Floral Studded Flats Ballerina 36 6
- Office Lady Casual Solid Patent Leather Pumps High Block Heel Shoes Plus Size
- New Tory Burch Womens Elana Silver Ankle Strap Heels Size 11
- YSL Yves Saint Laurent Black Leather Snakeskin Sling Back Heels Shoe 7.5 Vintage
- NEW MARCHEZ VOUS $395 BLACK /CREAM LEATHER /SUEDE OXFORD PUMP HEELS SIZE 9.5
- Diesel Womens Melrose Ashly Brown/Silver Leather Platform Heels Shoes 7.5 $270
- Frye Fiona Deco Mule Shoe- Women's 8M- Black w/Gold
- Brand New Christian Louboutin 38 Sale Never Worn!
- Women Sexy Roman Peep Toe High Heel Stiletto Buckle Ankle Strap Shoe Slingback
- Gentlemen/Ladies Eileen Fisher Sandals feature Attractive fashion Shopping promotion
- Womens Flower High Heel Wedge Creeper Platform Party Heel Wedding Sandal Shoes
- Under Armour Mens Size 11.5 Deception Hybrid Metal Baseball Cleats Black $110
- Globe Mens Mojo Legacy Sneakers Black/ Gum/ Plaid Size 9 New
- Skechers Performance Mens Go Walk 4 Remarkable Walking Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- NIKE KD Trey5 III Zoom Men's Basketball Shoes Sneakers Sz 17.5 Kevin Durant NEW
- Adidas NMD Men Shoes Black/Red Size 9/5
- Adidas Originals ZX 700 [B34330] Men Casual Shoes Leopard Khaki/Black
- New Balance Fresh Foam Boracay 3 Men's Black/White BORABK32
- 1807 Reebok RUNNING FLEXWEAVE Men's Training Running Shoes CN5096
- adidas Yeezy 350 Cleat Turtledove size 10.5
- Tod's Grey Suede Runners Size 7.5 BNIB
- Rockport Brown Leather Men Chelsea Boot Size 11M US 3361
- mens Casual Loafers SHoes Flats Heel Moccasins Lazy slipper Casual shoes slip on
- Mens Embroidry Driving Moccasin PU Leather Slip On Loafers Nightclub Shoes sz
- NEW Nike Air Max Sequent 852461-011 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- VTG FLORSHEIM Royal Imperial 5 Nail 96624 KENMOOR Black Long WingTip Oxfords 9 C
- NEW $290 DURNESS MEN'S EUROPEAN DESIGNER LEATHER OXFORDS SHOES HANDMADE SPAIN
- NIKE SAMPLE ROSHERUN KNIT JACQUARD SZ: WMNS 7 (705217 300)
- RETRO 2006 ADIDAS ANJA SOFT PINK SUEDE & PRINT CLEATS WOMENS SIZE 8 US WORN ONCE
- Nike Air Zoom Vomero 11 Womens Running/Training Shoes Grey/White 818100 002 Sz 7
- Men's/Women's new balance 940v3 Womens Size 8 Big clearance sale Affordable cheap price
- AUTHENTIC Puma Muse Metallic Forest Night Metallic Bronze Green Women size 6-10
- NIKE CORTEZ CLASSIC PREMIUM SE PRM QS "BEAUTIFUL x POWERFUL COLLECTION".. SIZE 8
Question Mark Figures: Why We Include This Data in Our Product
To review these suspect figures, we will typically wait for additional evidence to come in, in the form of horses from that race returning to race again. But even that has its limitations. Some figures are questionable when made and remain questionable months later or in perpetuity–because the runbacks do little to clarify the situation. This is rare but it does happen, and we believe it to be true for all Speed Figure makers. When a figure is under review, you deserve to know it.
As a player, you can then incorporate our lack of confidence in the available evidence into your own handicapping and assess additional elements of a horse’s form before placing your bets.
Additionally, if you refer to other speed figures when handicapping, the TimeformUS Question Marks will alert you to difficult conditions that likely affected other figure makers as well. They may not tell you, but we will. And now we’ll tell you why, too.